Former Advisor/Administrator/Chief of Protocol / ATO / TIC and Protection Officer US embassy Romania
Chairman of the National Academy Security and Defence Planning Romania
In fact, the prime minister David Cameron considered the annexation of Crimea by Russia, as an illegal action and further invoked the relevance of collective defence, guaranteed in the Article 5, of defending and save-guarding the liberty of territories and populations by way of abiding to the principle of national sovereignty of the states, which is guaranteed by the United Nations Chart as well. This was the also the general consensus of the attendants who joined the NATO Summit Meeting held in Wales.
2. The future of Afghanistan.
3. Approaching the new threats.
4. Reinforcement of the support for NATO Armed Forces.
5. Bolstering the strategic partnerships.
The NATO decided to considerably enlarge the military presence in East Europe. This strategic NATO relocation, has a rather very special geostrategic dimension and in a lesser degree it should be deemed as a purely political act.
In the context of the priorities and brand new ways of tackling the current security issues as sketched at the Summit there were established concrete measures and timelines for implementation:
• New exercises custom-tailored for environment preservation;
• Relocation of equipment and logistics;
• The NATO Readiness Action Plan Engagement;
• Securing the NATO infrastructure and the necessary resources.
A rather complex problem is the NATO reform.