Saturday, 8 October 2016

Germany hunts a Muslim bomb suspect









Police in the eastern German city of Chemnitz have detained three people as they continue a search for a suspect believed to be planning a bomb attack.

Acting on a tip-off from the domestic intelligence service, police raided an apartment but failed to find the suspect, Jaber al-Bakr, 22, who was born in Syria. He remains on the run.

Several hundred grams of explosives were found at the property, they say.
Further evacuations are now necessary, authorities said.
Local residents had earlier been asked to remain indoors as police combed the area.
Two people were detained at Chemnitz railway station and their luggage is being searched, state police tweeted.

Another person was detained near the apartment in the Fritz-Heckert neighbourhood.
The "where, when, how and why" of the planned attack remained unknown according to Tom Bernhardt, a spokesman for the Saxony state criminal investigation office.
He said the explosives in the apartment were "relatively well hidden".
They would likely be destroyed at the site after the area was evacuated as they are not stable enough to be moved, he said.

Saxony police have released pictures of Damascus-born Mr al-Bakr 

Name: Jaber ALBAKR,
Born:. 10.01.1994  in Saasaa/Damaskus- Syria,
ALBAKR, is dressed like on the picture in a black hoodie sweatshirt with a colourful print as seen here.


They have not provided any information about how long he had been in Germany.
They have urged anyone with information about him to come forward.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel's popularity has waned since her decision to open the borders to refugees and migrants last year, admitting more than a million people, many of them Syrian.
In July, an axe attack on a train near Wuerzburg and a suicide bombing in Ansbach wounded 20 people and were claimed by so-called Islamic State (IS).