That the Canadians have left the possibility open just like there might have been many shooters…. But quite frankly the result and damage would have been an other if that would be the case.
Michael Zehaf-Bibeau had a police record for petty crime, including possession of drugs and robbery. In his evening address, Mr Harper described him as a terrorist, failing to name him properly as a Islamist Terrorist.
"In the days to come we will learn more about the terrorist and any accomplices he may have had," Mr Harper said.
Leaving recruiters of these converts still free at large .....
Islamist attacks in Canada
- 2006 - In the 2006 Ontario terrorism plot, Canadian counter-terrorism forces arrested 18 terrorists (dubbed the "Toronto 18") inspired by al-Qaeda. They were accused of planning to detonate truck bombs, to open fire in a crowded area, and to storm the Canadian Broadcasting Centre, the Canadian Parliament building, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) headquarters, and the parliamentary Peace Tower, to take hostages and to behead the Prime Minister and other leaders.
- 2013 - The head of Canada’s spy service Richard Fadden has told Parliament that the fragmenting of al-Qaeda has made him more “worried” about terrorist attacks in Canada. He warned that Canadians are involved in every al-Qaeda affiliate group and that these groups have mentioned Canada as a possible target.
- 2013 - Chiheb Esseghaier and Raed Jaser of Montreal and Toronto, respectively, charged as part of an alleged Al Qaeda plot to derail a New York to Toronto train on the Canadian side of the border. Alleged plot was not imminent. Canadian Muslims helped to foil the alleged plot.The suspects said they were arrested based on their appearance.
- July 1, 2013 - Canada Day participants at the Parliament of British Columbia were targets of an alleged plot by Surrey residents John Stewart Nuttall, 38, and Amanda Korody, 29, to plant pressure-cooker bombs as inspired by al-Qaida. Investigation by RCMP and CSIS prevented implementation of the plot.
- 2014 - Misbahuddin Ahmed of Ottawa, arrested August 2010, convicted July 2014 of knowingly facilitating a terrorist activity and participation in the activities of a terrorist group.
- 2014 - Martin Couture-Rouleau runs over and kills one soldier and fatally injures another in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu on October 20th.
- 2014 - Michael Zehaf-Bibeau fatality shoots one soldier, and injures 3 other civilians at Parliament Hill in Ottawa. See 2014 shootings at Parliament Hill, Ottawa.